Tuesday, November 6, 2012

When garbage meets design

I am in love again:-)
After our first date my husband told his best friend he had met his future wife - TA-DA!
For me it's more like "When Harry met Sally" style. Slowly but Surely. It appears that I am always attracted to waste, and design was always there for me. So, one day I realized that this is it! I'm going to write down about upcycling (reused) design. I'm going to find out for myself this magic that happens when garbage meets design, when design issues come across environmental issues, when my will to reveal design strikes my will to create design. I am fascinated. I am enthusiastic. I am in love.



As I live in Tel Aviv I find very often construction waste. Each time it makes me wonder what palace could I built with it and sorrow for the fact it's going away to some landfill. The one in the picture above was lovely organized for my opinion.
And from a builder's art to a big artist:



That's the (2 minutes) trailer of the movie "Wasteland". Vik Muniz's garbage-art-community project. He is an artist (photographer) living in NYC, He was born into a working-class family in São Paulo, Brazil in 1961, and relocated to the United States in 1983. He had this huge urge and passion to do some art with the garbage in the world’s largest landfill, Jardim Gramacho, outside of Rio de Janeiro. Besides waste and the artistic search, the movie is also about changing people's life. (The pickers who work there and get some second chance to observe their life).



If you see the whole movie you would be whelmed by the power of the waste "on her head" it's all made of stuff: shoes, cans, dolls etc. Distancing and Nearing from the work emphasis the contrast between disgusting and wonder.



The work above (from this project) is called "Sebastião (Tião) Carlos Dos Santos" who is modeling in the picture, and has been a picker - recovered recyclables since he was 11 years old. The work quotes the classic "The Death of Marat" by Jacques-Louis David.
Vik invited Tião to the private auction, and when they announced the price of the work he started to cry. At that point in the movie, I felt my cramped heart filled with empathy to him, to his friends and to all mankind in this world.
This film has donated $276,000 to the (pickers) cooperative.

So long Vik...
loved your work <3
there goes my first kiss..hhhhhmmm...post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...